by Rob Crilly | March 07, 2020
PALM BEACH, Florida — President Trump said he had no plans to scale back his campaign rallies and was not concerned about the new coronavirus reaching Washington, D.C.
Speaking to reporters at Mar-a-Lago, ahead of a working dinner with Brazilian President Jair Bolsanaro, he was asked whether the emergence of a case at last month’s Conservative Political Action Conference would force him to change his mind on holding big campaign events.
“We’ll hold tremendous rallies,” he said.
Earlier, it emerged that a D.C. man in his 50s had been hospitalized with COVID-19, the disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, but Trump said he was not worried about the disease’s proximity to the White House.
“I’m not concerned at all,” he said.
After speaking for a few minutes, the two men entered the dining room of Mar-a-Lago. They were joined by Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared Kushner as well as Bolsonaro’s son Eduardo, who is a congressman, and other officials.
The rest of the dining room was packed with club members having their Saturday evening dinner.
The two presidents were expected to discuss the crisis in Venezuela, economic cooperation, the role of Huawei in building a new 5G network, and the protection of rainforests with his Brazilian counterpart.
The two men are mutual fans, having both been elected on similar platforms of economic nationalism.